Fun with Food!

Welcome to Fun with Food! This site was designed to help parents and caregivers find, share and ask about fun foods for your selective toddler!

As a speech-language pathologist specializing in pediatric feeding and swallowing disorders, I encounter many children who have experienced negative associations surrounding food. These children often have accompanying oral motor feeding difficulties and sensory processing difficulties--making eating a very stressful experience instead of an enjoyable one.

This website will hopefully serve as an "idea place" for meals as well as questions and support from other parents and caregivers. Enjoy!

Monday, August 3, 2009

All Natural "Sprite"


Since I have decided to "eat clean" (for the most part) I wanted to find a satisfying replacement for cola. I was also inspired to do this because my daughter recently discovered the joy of Sprite while traveling to the beach this weekend. Sprite and other carbonated beverages are a big staple in many diets of the kids seen for feeding therapy--they do give a great amount of sensory feedback and 'wake up' the mouth. Since many families are seeking a more natural alternative, however; I feel compelled to share any new discoveries that may be helpful!

Carbonated water, lime juice and a stevia packet is the concoction that I made for myself. I found some canned drinks, La Croix, which is made up of sparkling water and natural lime. There are no artificial flavors or sweetners nor are there any other sugars, 0 calories. I bought these because of the green shiny can! I thought my daughter would enjoy the fact that it looks like a cola. She did not like it plain but did take a few sips when mixed with juice and again when I added a slice of lime and the stevia. Lets face it it is not going to be the same as a yummy cold Sprite but it sure is close!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

great idea!! so creative!

Veronica-Disney Dreamin' Mama said...

Cool idea! I told Ben about it and he's all for it, so we're going to give it a go this weekend.