Fun with Food!

Welcome to Fun with Food! This site was designed to help parents and caregivers find, share and ask about fun foods for your selective toddler!

As a speech-language pathologist specializing in pediatric feeding and swallowing disorders, I encounter many children who have experienced negative associations surrounding food. These children often have accompanying oral motor feeding difficulties and sensory processing difficulties--making eating a very stressful experience instead of an enjoyable one.

This website will hopefully serve as an "idea place" for meals as well as questions and support from other parents and caregivers. Enjoy!

Friday, September 18, 2009

Squish your Squash Indian style!

As a first time gardener this year I grew an abundance of 'accidental' garden surprises...including pumpkins. Many many pumpkins! This first recipe was inspired by a friend of mine, Tina, who told me about the wonderful squash fritters she made for her family. Tina is one of my most creative friends and she and her husband are always coming up with the greatest ideas whether it be a recipe, party theme, creative art or halloween costumes for themselves and their children---as evidenced by last Halloween's costume, can you guess which soft drink she is representing?








I have adapted the recipe in order to make use of one of our pumpkins as well as satisfy my craving for curry that day. Tina says there are several squash fritter recipes online and you can change them up to fit any mood including Italian, Indian or Seafood. These fritters do resemble a crab cake so she and I were thinking of making a seafood feast one night during one of our get togethers--just substitute the other spices for some Old Bay for a seafood twist!


Indian inspired Spaghetti Squash and Pumpkin Fritters

½ small pumpkin (approximately ½ cup)

½ large spaghetti squash (approximately 1 cup)

Salt and pepper to taste

2 tbsp Indian seasoning (I had Kohinoor brand Sheek Kebab Special in the pantry)

¼ cup egg beaters or 1 egg

¼ cup whole wheat flour

Mix all ingredients together. Form into patties and roll in breadcrumbs. Pan fry in tbsp of olive oil, flip after approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve warm and crispy!

Well I didn't stop 'squishing squash' there since I wanted to use the remaining half of the spaghetti squash. I plugged in the Magic Bullet and made a great curried squash bisque--without the use of any dairy. This was very simple and very tasty! Adalyn had a few spoonfuls but I actually had myself in mind for this recipe. I know one of my favorite little patients will like this one though!


Curried Spaghetti Squash Bisque

1 cup spaghetti squash

2 tbsp water (add more or less depending on desired consistency)

½-1 tsp yellow curry (depends on your taste!)

1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt

Blend first 3 ingredients (I used magic bullet), add seasonings



0 comments: